Welcome to the blog

.

What 's in the blog?

My thoughts. Maybe even my thoughts about you, in the form of poems, notes, and music. If its important to me, my thoughts will be shared...

Why the blog?

Everybody heals in their own way. This blog is my way...

Always More Than What You See

Sunday 26 December 2010

Are there any who can tell me
What it's like to be a bat
To fly in a sea of darkness
With only echoes coming back
To know how high I sail
With never clearly seeing sea
As the crashing of the waves
Form in cave wall sounds to me
Conscious of all that is
And aware of all that has been
My mind is open to the world
But closed to every summer scene
Does the world look any less
With my view of what I see
Of a world I hear changing
With its surreal sounding scenes
Whilst you hear with your eyes
You cannot see what I mean
Because if you cannot see as a bat
You won't share my summer scenes
You talk as though you know me
Just because we are like kind
But even this cannot tell you
What goes on inside my mind
So instead I bid you listen
Let me tell you how I feel
Of my desire to see the sea
And of how much I really feel

Inspired by Thomas Nagel's 1974 essay "what is it like to be a bat", a critique of the reductionist theory of the mind.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this.

Janne

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments about the blog or individual writings. Thanks for sharing.